Face to Face
Face To Face: Portraits of Our Vibrant City
THE BRIDGE PROGRESSIVE ARTS INITIATIVE is seeking artists interested in meaningful connection and social practice. Application due Sept 25.
Face To Face: Portraits of Our Vibrant City will use the process of portraiture to provide 10 diverse Charlottesville artists and 10 diverse community members with an opportunity to connect with each other. The Bridge PAI will pair each artist and community member. The artist will be commissioned to create a portrait for the individual. Participants will meet and share their life stories, struggles, and joys. The artists will use these experiences to inform their process as they create a portrait for the individual. Strongly in tune with our mission to bridge diverse communities through the arts, this project fosters interpersonal relationships between residents of our city. It initiates dialogue about equity, value, and perception. Prior to the portraits being gifted from the artists to the community members, portraits will be exhibited during the month of February in The Bridge’s Belmont gallery and high-quality prints will be produced for display in public venues throughout Charlottesville.
Face To Face provides 10 Charlottesville artists with the opportunity to serve 10 fellow community members. It offers a unique opportunity for artists and subjects to meaningfully connect with each other.
- Facilitate connection between 10 artists and 10 community members.
- Commission artists to explore socially engaged art.
- Increase representation of vibrant diversity in Charlottesville and initiate dialogue about equity, value, and perception.
- Promote vibrancy and unity in our community.
HOW IT WORKS:
- The Bridge will commission 10 Charlottesville area artists each $300 and will pair them with community members. The selection committee will seek to connect artists with different life experience.
- From October through January, artists will create a portrait informed by the personal experiences of the community member and the connection made between them.
- The portraits may include a variety of two dimensional mediums. When applying, the artist should explain how the process used will allow meaningful interaction and connection.
- The gallery will hold a reception in February to celebrate the work, our city’s vibrancy, and the relationships formed. Artists and subjects will include statements about the process and result.
- The Bridge will “tour” the exhibition, printing high resolution images and making the collection available on loan to government, nonprofit, and private institutions seeking to emphasize the unity and vibrancy of our community.
- Artists will gift the portrait to the community member for whom it was created.
- By pairing members of the Charlottesville community, Face To Face will connect people who may not have otherwise met – highlighting the city’s vibrancy, diversity, and unity.
- Artists will serve their Charlottesville neighbors by painting a portrait for them to keep.
- Face To Face will result in a public exhibition showcasing 10 portraits and including written and/or spoken accounts of the participants’ experiences of the process.
- The Bridge will produce quality print reproductions of portraits for public display and images and stories will be published on the web.
To View the Call for Artists, Click Here!