Emergency Relief Fund for Artists
Inspired by our friends at Springboard for the Arts in Minneapolis, New City Arts and The Bridge are together launching an Emergency Relief Fund for Charlottesville-area artists, seed funded by The FUNd at CACF and program support from each organization.
In the current Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, artists as independent workers and creative people engaged in travel and exchange may be especially affected. This Fund supports Charlottesville-area artists who have lost income due to the cancellation of specific, scheduled gigs or opportunities (commissions, performances, contracts, other jobs/loss of income) due to Coronavirus/COVID-19 precautionary measures.
- Artists can request up to $300 to compensate for scheduled work that was scheduled and lost.
- Artists are eligible to apply for loss of income regardless of whether the income was from art or other jobs.
- Artists must live in the Charlottesville area including the city of Charlottesville or the counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, or Nelson.
Update: March 23, 2020
Through seed funding received from The FUNd at CACF, in addition to program support from New City Arts and The Bridge, the Charlottesville Emergency Relief Fund for Artists was launched on March 20, 2020 with $6,000 to provide in emergency relief for artists in the Charlottesville-area. In less than 24 hours, those funds were requested and are being disbursed. Over the weekend, we received an outpouring of donations from $25-$1,000 to expand the pool of funds to approximately $9,500. However, demand from Charlottesville-area artists continues to grow, and we are currently only able to fund about 75% of the qualifying requests we have received. We are actively fundraising and encourage requests to keep coming in. We will fulfill requests as we are able in the order they were received.
Expanding the Pool of Funds
If you would like to donate to expand the pool, you can:
- Give here and designate “Emergency Relief Fund for Artists” in the memo line.
- If you would like to contribute to the Emergency Relief Fund for Artists through bank draft or check, please contact Maureen at maureen [at] newcityarts.org.
Neither The Bridge nor New City Arts are keeping a percentage for administrative costs; all funds will be given to artists in need.