Face to Face: Portraits of our Vibrant City
Click buttons above to view portrait collections from previous years.
CALL FOR ARTISTS 2019. CLOSED
Stay tuned for Face to Face 2020 Season!
The Bridge is no longer accepting applications for season three of Face To Face: Portraits of Our Vibrant City, through November 9, 2019. Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated about the 2020 season.
Face To Face: Portraits of Our Vibrant City uses the process of portraiture to provide 10 Charlottesville artists and 10 community members with the opportunity to connect with someone they might not otherwise connect with. The Bridge will pair each artist with a community member and the artist will be commissioned to create a portrait for the individual. Participants meet and share their stories, struggles, and joys. Then these exchanges inform the creation of a portrait. Prior to the portraits being gifted from the artists to the community members, they will be exhibited during the month of February in The Bridge’s Belmont gallery and high-quality prints will be produced for display in public venues throughout Charlottesville. Artists will receive a fee of $400 for their work upon completion.
A jury of diverse creatives and community thinkers will select qualified artists based on the following criteria:
- Caliber of work
- Potential for personal and artistic growth
- Experience and interest in social practice
- Ability to maintain project commitments
- Inclusion of varied perspectives and media
- Understanding and alignment with the goals of the project
Applicants must submit the following:
- A CV or resume
- 4 work samples with short descriptions
- A one-page statement of interest that addresses your work and interest in the program as well as any information the jury should consider when reviewing your candidacy. This should include insight into how your creative process may lend itself to creating a connection with the portrait recipient.
Submission materials should submitted through the form above (link) by November 9, 2019. Selected artists will be notified Mid to Late November. For any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected artists must present portraits hang-ready by the deadline of February 1st 2019. Artist payment will be rendered at this time.
ABOUT FACE TO FACE
Face To Face: Portraits of Our Vibrant City uses the intimate process of portraiture to connect artists and community members who have different life experiences. Part portraiture and part biography, Face to Face uses the strengths, experiences, and passions of vibrant individuals in our community to inform masterfully created portraits. Strongly in tune with our mission to bridge diverse communities through the arts, this project fosters interpersonal relationships among the people of our city. It initiates dialogue about equity, value, and perception. Portraits are exhibited at the Bridge and then gifted from the artists to the community members.
Face To Face provides Charlottesville artists with the opportunity to serve fellow community members. It offers a unique opportunity for artists and subjects to meaningfully connect with each other.
- Facilitate connection between artists and community members.
- Commission artists to explore socially engaged art.
- Increase representation of vibrant diversity in Charlottesville and initiate dialogue about equity, value, and perception.
- Promote vibrancy and unity in our community.
HOW IT WORKS:
- The Bridge commissions Charlottesville area artists and pairs them with community members. Based on biographical info, consideration is made to pair artists and community members with different life experiences.
- Artists create a portrait informed by the personal experiences of the community member and the connection made.
- The portraits may be in any still visual medium. When applying, the artist should explain how the process used will allow meaningful interaction and connection.
- The Bridge holds a reception to celebrate the work, our city’s vibrancy, and the relationships formed. Artists and portrayed individuals make biographical statements and comment on the process and result.
- The Bridge “tours” the exhibition, printing high resolution images and making the collection available on loan to government, nonprofit, and private institutions seeking to emphasize the unity and vibrancy of our community.
- Artists gift the portrait to the community member for whom it was painted.
- By pairing members of the Charlottesville community, Face To Face connects people who may not otherwise meet – highlighting the city’s vibrancy, diversity, and unity.
- Artists serve their Charlottesville neighbors by painting a portrait for them to keep.
- Face To Face results in a public exhibition showcasing portraits and including written and/or spoken accounts of the participants’ biographical info and experiences of the process.
- The Bridge produces quality print reproductions of portraits for public display. Images and stories are published on the web.