Gallery of Curiosities 2018
Gallery Of Curiosities
This community-curated Wunderkammer showcases, the unique, bizarre, fanciful, sacred, ill-defined, celebrated, historical, alternative, supernatural, and otherwise curious collections and creations of Central Virginia. The perfect exhibit for October, this exhibition is a deep-dive into the most peculiar parts our community’s collective wonder. We’ve overturned every rock, and we’ve peered into every dark basement to uncover an astonishing collection of curiosities that is guaranteed to inspire a sense of intrigue, surprise, and admiration for our community.
What to Expect
- All things created or collected intentionally or accidentally.
- All things natural, unnatural, supernatural, othernatural, subnatural, and exo-natural.
- All things undefined, under-defined, and ill-defined.
- All things from other times and/or other realities.
- All things that challenge and critique the history of the early American museum, Racist Science, the pillaging of cultural objects, and a singular understanding of oddity/normality.
Contributors: Lyall Harris, Kristie E. Wood, Lighthouse Larry, Danielle Heckman, Matt Eich, Kaleb Gay, Don Fry, Candice Agnello, Joel Jacobus, Matthew Gatto, Lisa Murch, Karen Siegrist, Leslie Scott-Jones, Renee Reighart, Dave Gibson, Andrew Thomas, Cortney Skinner of the Boston Museum of Natural History, Chris Smith, Cynthia Burke, Earl Vallery, Elizabeth Weir, Ellie Giles, Hattie Eshleman, Ian Coyle, Jennifer Alamanza, Jum Jirapan, Kaleb Gay, Lauren Guerra, Sophie Gibson, Terri Long, Tobiah Mundt, Will Mullany, Alan Goffinski, Karina Monroy, Federico Cuatlacuatl, Emma Terry, Elyse Smith, Mease HM, Jordan Taylor, Bolanle Adeboye, Zach Worrell, Keith Lee, George Gill, Ashley Florence, Lance Barrera, Allyson Mellberg Taylor, Jeremy Taylor, Dave Gibson, more!
*The exhibition ran through the month of October and included a great calendar full of curious events. Photos by Kyle Petrozza.